St. Joseph Hospice began providing peace, comfort and dignity to those facing terminal illness in 2002, with the opening of its first office in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. Since that time, St. Joseph Hospice has achieved a reputation as a compassionate and competent leader in the hospice industry throughout Louisiana and Mississippi.
With offices located in Alexandria, Baton Rouge, Covington, Houma/Thibodaux, Lafayette, Monroe, New Orleans and Shreveport, St. Joseph Hospice offers a network throughout Louisiana that provides an option for those requiring relocations. With the addition of Mississippi offices in Hazlehurst and Wiggins, St. Joseph Hospice is now bringing the quality of hospice care they’ve become known for in Louisiana to the people of Mississippi as well. Our Mississippi service area includes the following counties: Adams, Amite, Claiborne, Copiah, Covington, Forrest, Franklin, George, Greene, Hancock, Harrison, Hinds, Issaquena, Jackson, Jefferson, Jefferson Davis, Jones, Lamar, Lawrence, Lincoln, Madison, Marion, Pearl River, Perry, Pike, Scott, Simpson, Smith, Stone, Rankin, Warren, Walthall, Wayne, and Yazoo. Local service hubs are located within these service areas and are listed on the Locations page.
The St. Joseph Hospice interdisciplinary team works with the patient’s physician to formulate a plan of care individually tailored to the needs of the patient. The plan outlines medical and support services to provide high quality comfort care, not only for the patient, but the patient’s family and caregivers who are also impacted by the overall well being of the patient. The plan may include medical and support care, social services, physician visits, education, psychosocial and bereavement counseling. The team is comprised of Board Certified Hospice and Palliative Care physicians, hospice-trained registered and licensed practical nurses, certified nursing assistants, medical social workers, non-denominational chaplains and pastors, bereavement professionals and hospice-trained volunteers.
Hospice care is covered by Medicare, Medicaid and most private and managed care insurance plans. It is St. Joseph Hospice’s policy that no person shall be denied hospice care regardless of ability to pay, age, race, nationality, disease, handicap, religion, gender or sexual orientation.
Why St. Joseph Hospice
- St. Joseph Hospice provides Board Certified Palliative Care Physicians available for consult.
- St. Joseph Hospice provides informational visits with patients/families and experienced, caring medical professionals.
- St. Joseph Hospice provides trained clinicians who bring years of hospice experience and knowledge of end of life care.
- St. Joseph Hospice offers robust staffing for intensive hospice support provided at bedside, as well as inpatient hospice availability, which allows more options for “crisis symptom management”.
- St. Joseph Hospice provides continuity of care. Full-time RNs are employed in many locations for night and weekend calls so that patients/families know the nurse and he/she knows them.
- St. Joseph Hospice provides Social Workers and Chaplains to visit patients on a regular basis, so that patients know them and feel comfortable when there are spiritual or psychological needs to be addressed.
- St. Joseph Hospice is locally-owned and operated and is reimbursed by Medicare, Medicaid and private insurance, as are all hospice agencies, whether they are “for-profit” or “non-profit”. The St. Joseph Hospice Foundation, a non-profit entity, was established to provide additional needs for patients, community education, including non-insured patients and their families. No patient will ever be turned away from St. Joseph Hospice based on their ability to pay.
- St. Joseph Hospice provides all hospice-covered medication, durable medical equipment and supplies related to the terminal diagnosis, with no charge to the patient.
- St. Joseph Hospice provides a hospice network throughout Louisiana and Mississippi for emergency evacuations and/or relocations.
- St. Joseph Hospice provides a unique comfort care TRIAGE* allowing more options for patients receiving chemotherapy, radiation or dialysis.
- St. Joseph Hospice provides a Web site for family education and access to educational resources such as: 5 Wishes, Gone from My Sight, Educational DVD and Hard Choices for Loving People.
- St. Joseph Hospice is named for the Patron Saint of a Peaceful Death (St. Joseph) and embraces the physical, emotional and spiritual needs of both the patient and their family and provides peace, comfort, support and dignity.